Sunday, March 16, 2014

Flipping the boat (boat neck, that is)

One of my favorite blogs I have found through Project Run and Play is Frances Suzanne.  It is written by two sisters who sew some of the most classically beautiful clothes for their nieces.  It is these two ladies that have motivated me to use piping in various projects.

Well, for several months they have been hosting a "flip that pattern" fun filled contest/sewalong.  I participated one month and decided to again.

March is the month of the Beach Boat neck. I already owned that pattern so I decided to make a button up shirt version.


 I cut the front as two pieces instead of on the fold and gave it about another inch on the center.  I also rounded off the corners next to the neck.


 Then I used contrasting knit to make a binding for the hem and around the front to create a placket for the buttons.  For the bottom binding, I used a decorative stitch to give it more interest and tack it down.
The original pattern has 3/4 sleeves and I wanted long sleeves so I made long cuffs in the same knit as the binding.  These few changes made the top take twice as long to sew as the normal Beachy Boatneck would take.  But, I do like the way it turned out and so did Isa.

If you are interested in hearing more from us, there are a couple ways for you to keep in touch!

9 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! Looks like a comfy cardigan.....and the way you lined up the fabric - IMPRESSIVE! Thanks for your sweet, kind words. We are so glad you linked up again....and YEA for piping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I really like the rounded corners at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! And agreed, your matching of the chevron is flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet and I agree - the chevron matching is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments. I loved this flip and I am glad my work on the matching of chevrons was noticed. :D

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips